I. The League
The CBL is an Out of the Park online league that started in 2014 using modern rosters and 12 Minor League teams.
A. GM Engagement Responsibilities
Exporting – General Managers are required to export at least once every 10 days. If you are unable to export within 10 days, please let the Commissioner know ahead of time (via direct message in Slack) or send an away message in your team channel in Slack.
League Awareness – Monitor chat activities in Slack and respond when appropriate. We do not expect anyone to spend their whole day chatting. But everyone is required to monitor the chat room. This will also give you a chance to check your private message to see if you have any trade offers.
Communication – If anyone received a trade offer or inquiry, please reply in a timely manner. In CBL, we do not ignore trade inquiries. If you are not ready to talk trades or not interested, simply let the other party know. We do not leave anyone hanging.
Mandatory Voting – All General Managers are required to vote for Awards every season.
Establish some level of presence in the Slack – It is not necessary to be there ‘all the time’ but somehow, someway, the rest of the league needs to know who you are and that you are accessible. While it’s impossible to formulate an exact protocol for the frequency and depth of your league participation the expectation is that you bring value to the league on some level(s).
Winter Meetings – Everyone is required to participate during Winter Meetings. The best way to participate is by joining the discussion in Slack. If this is not possible, you are still required to vote on Winter Meeting polls in #_winter-meetings channel in Slack.
Leave of Absence – Send a direct message in Slack to the Commissioner. If direct message is not your cup of tea, you can send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
B. The CBL Dismissal Process
The Commissioner may initiate steps to inform a GM that they need to address concerns if they want to remain in the league. For extreme infractions the Commissioner may immediately remove a GM.
Conditions that may lead to Commissioner warnings:
- Failure to export regularly.
- Failure to manage their team–no exports, injured players not on the DL, roster limits not adhered to, coaching and scout positions not filled, or near filled.
- Failure to participate actively in the rookie draft
- Ignoring email or forum trade inquiries from other GM’s
- Not voting on mandatory votes including, but not limited to, Awards, HOF, All Star, and league votes. Even if you are neutral on a vote you still need to vote.
- Treating other GM’s and/or the Commissioner rudely.
- Using the chat in a ‘rant’ style. It’s okay to disagree, we encourage it, but it must be done respectably.
- Anything that falls into the category of inappropriate behavior.
In most cases the Commissioner will contact the GM to bring the issue(s) to their attention. A prompt response from the GM is required to maintain their franchise. Ignoring the inquiries of the Commissioner may result in the GM losing their franchise.
Conditions that may lead to immediate expulsion:
- No export in one month (in real time)
- Cheating (in any shape or form).
- Failure to improve, or act upon when requested, in a reasonable amount of time on any of the above issues that have been brought to their attention by the Commissioner.
C. Sim Schedule
Regular season and off-season sims are scheduled for Monday through Friday at 6:00 PM PST and Sunday at 9 PM PST, with certain exceptions due to holidays and special league events. Exports are due by 5:30 pm PST the day of the sim. The sim length for regular season is 3 to 4 days depends on schedule generated by the game. Most teams plays the same number of games per series. In off-season, we sim 7 days. More details below.
Off-Season Road Map
- First day of “Off-Season” – All GM’s must vote for Awards (StatsLab). Teams will decide to execute or void team options during this time. Lastly, teams must set arbitration offers. Once the Commish have all files, the league will pass “Arbitration Hearing” and stop at the first day of “Free Agency”
- Free Agency – Commish will sim 7 days from the first day of Free Agency until the league reaches “Preseason”.
- Winter League – All Winter League teams must be filled on the first day of Free Agency. For more information about Winter League, please check section IX.
- Rule V Draft – Commish will stop simming once the league reaches Rule V Draft in the calendar. All teams participating in Rule V Draft are required to send a draft list to the Commish prior to the next sim. List can be sent via E-mail or direct message on Slack.
- Winter Meetings – Commish will create Winter Meeting polls in #_winter-meetings channel on Slack. All GMs are encouraged to vote on polls. New rules or features will be implemented before the new season begins.
- Preseason – This is the deadline for teams to set their dev budgets. The Commish also uses this day to create CAPs (Create-A-Prospect) and process all rewards. From preseason, the league will advance to the first day of Spring Training.
- Spring Training – is one month in CBL. During this time, the Commish will sim 5 times (5 day sim length). All teams will have a chance to set their 25-man roster 2 in-game days prior to Opening Day.
II. Player Contracts
A. Free Agents
In the off-season free agent period, free agents may be signed by owners by making offers in the game and uploading them via FTP. In season will work exactly the same as off-season.
B. Contract Extensions
All players may be re-signed throughout the season. Offers should be made within the game and uploaded with your export
This league uses the arbitration setting within game. To avoid paying arbitration rates, players may be released before the season is turned over.
A. General Limitations on Trades
Trades which are deemed significantly unbalanced, in violation of the league rules, or would damage the integrity of the league can be voided at the Commissioner’s discretion. Trades cannot be made after the trade deadline unless all players involved with the deal are passed through waivers.
DFA Traded Players – once teams agreed on a trade, teams are required to DFA the players involved in the trade and export their file prior to the sim. This prevent injuries in upcoming sim and makes it easier to process for the Simmers.
B. Additional trade rules
The trade deadline is July 25th. 10/5 rule is not in place.
IV. Waivers and Designating Players for Assignment (“DFA”)
The CBL uses the Waiver System created inside of the game. The Waiver period lasts for 9 sim days. Since sims last 3 days, owners are given an opportunity to see who’s on the waiver wire, as well as who might have made a claim on a player that has a revocable claim. If a player is irrevocably claimed off waivers, the player becomes property of the team claiming.
B. Designated for Assignment
The DFA period is set for 15 days. If a player’s time on DFA runs out, the player will be placed in the Minors. If the DFA’ed player(s) won’t accept demotion, the player(s) will be released.
V. The First-Year Player and Rule V Draft
A. The Amateur Draft
The amateur draft will be held on StatsLab using the parameters below:
- 6 hr timer in Round 1
- 3 hr timer in Rounds 2 through 4
- Auto draft list or auto pick in rounds 5 through 20
B. Rule V Draft
The league holds the Rule V draft via draft list. Draft list can be sent via email or direct message to the Commish on Slack. Rule V draftees cannot be traded until the following season.
A. Team Revenue Settings
Average Media Contract 70 Million (Same For Every Team)
Average Local Media = 10 Million
Average Merchandise Revenue = 10 Million
Entire revenue available
Luxury Tax = 115% (Soft Cap % of average payroll)
VII. Roster Limits
Active roster has a limit of 25 players. In Spring Training, this limit expands to 60. Triple A, Double A, Single A teams has a limit of 30 players. Rookie league has a limit of 50 players. The max age in Rookie League is 23.
VIII. League and Playoff Structure
20 Total Teams Split Into 2 Leagues
CBL Wild Card Round = 1 game
CBL Division Series = Best of 5 (2h, 2a, 1h)
CBL League Championship Series= Best of 7 (2h, 3a, 2h)
CBL Premier Cup Series = Best of 7 (2h, 3a, 2h)
IX. Winter League
Opening Day – December
1 league, 16 teams
Top two teams will battle it out in the HWB championship series (best of 7)
MVP can be given to a hitter or pitcher
Age limit set to 17-22 yrs old
X. Participation Points
CBL Rewards System
CBL Premier Cup = 200 PP
PCL Championship = 50 PP
SL Championship = 50 PP
MID Championship = 50 PP
HWB Championship = 200 PP
ARL Championship = 50 PP
10 PP per 100 words
Approved article comment = 5 PP
Logging in = 1 PP
Participation Points Rewards
Owners can create one prospect for 25 PP per season. The owners can select the player’s name, age, race, bats, throws, position and level (HS or COL). “All Star” template will be used here as well. Player development will be set at 50%. Owners can select any schools and level within our Feeder Leagues. Please see our template below.
Name: Harvey Specter
Team: Pepperdine University
Hometown: New York, New York
Ballpark construction includes park factors and it cost 100 PP. It can only be done once every five seasons.
If you wish to relocate your team, you would be required to use 200 points + 150 words article announcing the relocation. You can only relocate your team once every five seasons.
Teams can get a new logo & uniforms for 100 points (CBL Team). In addition, the GM would be required to write a blog post of at least 150 words. Minor League re-branding cost 50 PP per team. Re-branding can only be done once every three three.
Add Stadium Seats
Teams can add up to 56,000 seats in their ballpark. It will cost 100 PP to add 1000 seats to their ballpark.
Convert a retired player to coach
Owners can convert one retired player to coach for 25 PP per season. The coach can be assigned to your team as long as the position is vacant (2-year deal, $40,000 salary). Please post your request in #_rewards channel with the player’s/coach’s name, position, and team/level that you want to assign the coach to. You can also convert a retired player to coach and make him available for everyone. The co
Add a nickname
Owners can use 10 PP to add a nickname to a player or coach.